Sunday, February 2, 2014

Too Cold To Hold 10 Miler

Many thanks to Run Project for putting on such a great event! If you haven't heard about them, make sure to check them out at www.RunProject.org. They're all about bringing people together for races and supporting the local community by giving back. Their beneficiary for Too Cold To Hold was The Family Place. Take some time to learn more about Run Project and think about signing up for the next race in their series, the Dash Down Greenville 5k, which takes place on March 15th! It's an awesome race with a great post race party right on the intersection of Greenville Avenue and Lovers Lane at Central Market. After the race, stick around to watch the Greenville Parade!


This will be my first official "Race Report" since I moved over to the Blogger platform.  That is if you can call this a race report since I used this event as a workout.

When I signed up for Run Project's Too Cold To Hold 10 Miler the weather was predicted to be in the upper 50s, but I woke up to temperatures in the low 30s with a chance of rain. The race was scheduled to go off at 8:30 AM so I woke up at 7 AM, ate some oatmeal and a banana and got my things ready. Since this was a local race and I was using it as a workout, I packed up some extra layers for afterwards into a backpack, put it on and jogged 3 miles over to the starting line.

I made it to the start/finish festival area at 8:25 AM with just enough time to take off the extra layers I had on and drop my stuff off at the bag drop tent, then hop on the start line. The race went off right as scheduled with all three distances (5k, 5M, 10M) going off at the same time. My plan going in was to average 6:30 pace to get some speed under my belt before The Cowtown 50k on February 23rd and not let myself get caught up in racing. The race started in Norbuck Park and was run along White Rock Lake and then turned around and came back along the same path. The race was along the same route that I run every single morning so I was very familiar with the course. Things started well and about .25 miles into the race, the course split and the 5kers stayed left and the 5M and 10M runners continued to the right.

I started out exactly on pace, coming through the first mile in 6:30.7. When I crossed the first mile marker I was in 22nd place. My plan was to continue to maintain my pace and see who I could pick off along the way. At mile 2 I was in 20th and I continued to pass a few runners including 4 runners who turned around at the 5 Mile turnaround, putting me in 12th at mile 3. I kept pace and came through mile 5 at 32 minutes. The conditions for the first 5 Miles were cold with minimal wind coming off of the lake, but the majority of the way back the wind was harsh and frigid. Over the remainder of the course I caught 4 more runners while maintaining my pace, only picking it up slightly in the last half mile. My last 5 miles were covered in 31:56 with the finishing time on my watch being 1:03:56 and an official timing result of 1:04:39 and 8th place overall. I even got first in my age group and a cool cold bag as a prize. Overall, I felt pretty good with this being the first type of speed work i've actually done this season. In combination with my 2-3 hour runs it gives me good confidence for The Cowtown 50k where I'm looking to go just under 4 hours. That race will be another check point in my season before I run a 24 hour race in late April and look to add some trail 50k's and 50 milers to my 2014 race schedule!